MOLD MYTHS VS. FACTSMold myths vs facts

The topic of mold has been gaining more attention in the media. While the increased press awareness is good, there is a lot of misinformation in the media. So how do you separate fact from myth?

MYTH – If you aren’t allergic to mold, then mold won’t affect you.

FACT – Any individual has the potential to develop allergic reactions from mold, depending on a person’s overall health and immune system.

FACT – Exposure to damp indoor or moldy environments has been known to cause upper respiratory tract issues, coughing and wheezing in otherwise healthy people.

FACT – Exposure to damp indoor or moldy environments can lead to shortness of breath and respiratory illnesses in otherwise healthy children and to the potential development of asthma in susceptible individuals.

FACT – Every person has their own level of sensitivity to mold, with young children and those with suppressed immune systems being the most susceptible.

MYTH – Mold in your basement or crawl space won’t affect you.

FACT – Approximately 50% of the air in a basement or crawlspace migrates up to the main living area. The air from below containing elevated levels of mold spores and other allergens can cause adverse health effects to people above.

MYTH – All mold is ‘black mold’.

FACT –There are many molds that are black in color but there are thousands of mold types that grow to be white, green, brown and other colors. Black mold is known as Stachybotrys chartarum and it grows on materials such as fiberboard, gypsum board and paper. Moisture from water damage, excessive humidity and condensation can cause it to grow. Constant moisture is required for its growth.

FACT– Whether you have black mold or another type of mold isn’t important. All mold should be treated the same in terms of potential health risks and how to treat it.

MYTH – Only “black mold” is harmful.

FACT – All molds can be harmful and cause allergic reactions, respiratory issues and potentially more serious health issues.

MYTH – You can completely eliminate mold from inside any building.

FACT – Mold spores are naturally present in the outdoor air and can easily find their way indoors.

FACT – You can control its growth by controlling the moisture level indoors.

MYTH – Dead mold is safe.

FACT – Even dead mold can cause allergic reactions in individuals.

MYTH – Painting over mold will eliminate the mold.

FACT – Paint is a food source for mold and the mold will resurface when painted over.

MYTH – You should test for mold if you suspect you have it.

FACT – In most instances, if you can see or smell mold then you don’t need to test for it.

FACT – There are no EPA or federal thresholds for mold. In fact, both the EPA and CDC do not recommend testing in most circumstances. If you see mold you need to address the mold issue and the underlying moisture problem immediately.

The bottom line is, if you live in Southeastern Pennsylvania and have a moisture problem at your property now or had one in the past, you could have a mold problem. If you’re worried you have mold in your house or building, contact us and we’ll give your mold problem our immediate attention and provide a mold treatment solution that will return the environment of your property to a healthy level.

Call today: 866-ENV-MOLD (866-368-6653) or email: info@envmoldsolutions.com